»

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thoughts of The Moment: Saturday Morning Edition

Finally have time to write and be intimate: that is the point right?

- I hate, I hate, I hate the television show "Cops." I understand the the subject matter is exciting. Ya know, following a cop while he or she is "on duty; " taking part in "crime stopping ." Clearly, the producers gave no thought to the underlying implications of the show. This show has been on for nineteen years, and as I recall there are still new episodes coming on Fox (right along with "America's Most Wanted," I think). Whenever anyone thinks about this television show vivid memories are evoked inside. These cops cruise around these rundown, low income, zero resource, neighborhoods. What do the viewers see? These ridiculous, "evil" minorities (And, I use that word in its literal sense) being snatched up by the heroic, "good" cops. I am very aware that not only "evil" minorities are profiled on the show, but that is a LARGE part of what's presented. All the people that see this show get a very unrealistic, jaded representations of minorities all over the United States. This very topic came up in my sociology class, and we connected it to the population here at CMU.


Central Michigan University's population is divided up like so: 90% Caucasian, 6% African American, 2% Asian, 2% Hispanic, and 1% Native American (note: Our college is right next door to an Indian reservation). There are about 27,000 students enrolled at CMU. Now, of the students here at CMU there is a large majority from small towns and very un-integrated cities, many claiming to never have met, seen, or interact with a minority before coming to CMU. Shows like "Cops" are aimed at Caucasians between the ages of 18 and 34. That demographic is the prime demographic here at CMU. Many students come to my university with these incorrect ideas. One time this dude told me, "J. Dooley, you're the whitest black person I know!" This other girl told me, "OMG! You're not like the other black people. You're so nice and kind." Of course I had to give a boo-boo face in both situations. All in all, my point is that the entertainment industry needs to be aware of the messages they sound out in their program. Yes, it's entertainment, however; a lot of people aren't intelligent enough to realize that it's just that.

- For years it was "taboo" to have a darker skin tone. The implications of America's history proves this to be true. Think about this for a moment: When did America become so obsessed with tanning? We have hundreds of thousands of people running around tanning two and three times a day. For some reason, the lighter skinned citizens of America have become obsessed with making their skin darker, when once the mindset was black=evil. What happened?

- I've been spending a lot of time in the Minority Student Services office. I've really began to fortify my relationship with Ann, Tracy, and Jennette. They're amazing people with a passion for their careers. They've got me really excited for the ACE program. I'm nervous, but at least I, and the children I work with, will come out a different: stronger and more focused. It feels really good to be in a position where I can drop some knowledge on kids or really need it. Sure, they'll hate me while the program is taking part, but they'll thank me for it later.

- Yesterday afternoon I sat down and watched "Charm School," for the second time. I love the show, it was truly funny: HILARIOUS. Many of the females on the show were really crazy; acting out to get attention. But, some of the girls were actually being themselves, and comedy revealed itself. My top two favorite cast members were Sapphyri and Shay. Sapphyri being my number one. She said some funny stuff! Below are my favorite Sapphyri quotes:

"Nipple Girl!"
(Talking about Brooke being "slutacious")

"OOOH! You mad now, huh!?"
(Talking to Leilene after she argued with Larissa)

"AHHH, you go bitch. You're fierce!"
(Comment on Leilene standing up to Brooke)

"Which ocean did you get those see shells from!? YOU UGLAY!"
(Talking to the "parolee" during the "Play or Get Played Challenge.")

"Want some lip chap!?!?"
(Talking to various people on the show)

2 comments:

Steve said...

I hate you, you actually make a good point for once!! I love what you said about the darker skin tone being the new thing...when DID that happen, like seriously? Good job, Dooley, I'm going to let that marinate a couple days then get back to you :-P

Steve

Tha_Dooley said...

I didn't know you read my blog, lol. Thanks for the feedback. :D